Japan Visitor: What's happening in Tokyo, Nagoya, Kyoto, Osaka, Shimane Japan

Home    Japan Travel Guide     Tokyo Guide     Contact     Auction Service     Japan Shop

Wednesday, June 01, 2016

Familiar Faces in Japan

Do you enjoy watching television in Japan even if you are unable to speak the language? I do. I appreciate seeing something different than the usual fare in my home country. In addition, I've begun to recognize certain personalities, and I look for them whenever I visit Japan.

Shingo Katori.

I first began noticing a funny, handsome, rascally-type who turned out to be the singer (SMAP) and actor Shingo Katori. I remembered him from the Taiga Drama "Shinsengumi" which had played on a local cable channel in Los Angeles. His was an isolated presence in the USA (aside from a gyoza commercial), but in Japan he seemed to pop up everywhere. I saw him in ads, on billboards, in magazines, and on television. Once I saw him walk off a talk show after becoming irritated at the host - it was hilarious.

Nishida Toshiyuki.

The next person I began to see everywhere was the actor Nishida Toshiyuki. I have loved this guy ever since he played the hapless Hidetada in "Aoi Tokugawa." Whenever I lay eyes on him I feel as if an old friend is welcoming me to Japan. And on my recent trip, he showed up even sooner - as part of the inflight entertainment in 2016's "Life's Promise." Yokoso

Nishida Toshiyuki.

!© JapanVisitor.com

Inside Track Japan For Kindle

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...