The Sakamoto International Cemetery in the Urakami area of Nagasaki in Kyushu is located near Sanno Shrine and the Atomic Bomb Museum. Established in 1888, the cemetery consists of two parts divided by a road. The later part was added in 1903.
The Sakamoto International Cemetery contains the graves of Thomas Glover (1838-1911) and his family. Glover was an influential business man in Nagasaki who backed the domains of Choshu and Satsuma with arms in their successful bid to overthrow the Tokugawa shogunate in the late 1860's.
Glover's son Tomisaburo, who was held under house arrest during World War II and committed suicide shortly after the end of the war, is also buried in the family plot. Tomisaburo's Japanese wife, Waka, is also laid to rest here.
Sakamoto International Cemetery also includes a Jewish cemetery as well as the tombs of of French soldiers and Vietnamese workers killed in the Boxer Rebellion in China.
The first foreign cemetery in Nagasaki was begun at Goshinji Temple in 1859 for Dutch and Chinese traders with another one established near the Oura foreign settlement in 1861. When land near Oura became scarce, the cemetery at Sakamoto was opened as the number of foreigners living and dying in Nagasaki increased.
Nagai Takashi, the Catholic doctor, who did so much to revive the spirit of Nagasaki through his work and writings after the atomic bombing in 1945 is also buried in Sakamoto International Cemetery.
Inside Track Japan For Kindle