Shiroyama Park in Takayama, Gifu Prefecture is the former site of Takayama Castle.
Kanamori Nagachika (1524-1608), an ally of Ieyasu Tokugawa, constructed Takayama Castle and the surrounding town of Takayama from 1588 onwards and his equestrian statue stands in the park, in recognition of his founding of the town.
Little now remains of the original Takayama Castle except for its stone walls, Hakuunsui spring and Otemon Gate.
The 24 hectares of ground became a public park in 1873, which is famous for its cherry trees in season. Shiroyama Park is the largest public park in Takayama.
Shorenji Temple is just to the north west of the hill on which Takayama Castle once stood.
Inside Track Japan For Kindle