Hie Shrine's chronology is somewhat vague but it was founded sometime in the 14th-15 centuries.
Originally located within the grounds of Edo Castle by Tokugawa Ieyasu, as the guardian shrine of the fortress, Hie Shrine was moved and eventually re-located in Akasaka by Tokugawa Ietsuna, Ieyasu's great grandson in 1659.
Fire has ravaged the original buildings, which received their most recent pounding in World War II. The present structures now date from 1958.
Tokyoites, who come here in droves with their children for the Shichi-go-san festivities in the autumn.
Hie Shrine has some interesting statues including its monkey gods: a king and a queen with child, mirroring the activities of mere mortals during Shichi-go-san.
Oyamakui-no-kami (aka Hie-no-kami) is the main Shinto kami associated with Hie Shrine, the god of Mount Hie in Shiga prefecture.
2 Chome-2-10-5 Nagatacho
Tel: 03 3581 2471
The nearest subway stations to Hie Shrine are Akasakamitsuke Station on the Ginza and Marunouchi lines, Kokkaigijidomae Station on the Marunouchi and Chiyoda lines, Akasaka Station on the Chiyoda Line and Nagatacho Station on the Yurakucho, Hanzomon and Namboku lines.
Inside Track Japan For Kindle