Located a little west of Ishigaki Port on Yui Road (Route 79) is Torinji Temple, which according to the official tourist pamphlet was the first Buddhist temple built on the Yaeyama Islands of Okinawa.
Torinji, which belongs to the Zen sect, was built in 1614 and now sits right next door to Gongendo Shrine which was also constructed at the same time.
Torinji's main attractions are two 18th century wooden statues of Deva kings (nio) which are now considered the guardians of Ishigaki.
Torinji Temple is within walking distance of the public market, Miyara Dounchi House & Gardens and the Yaeyama Museum.
Tel: 0980 82 2142
Inside Track Japan For Kindle