Japan Visitor: What's happening in Tokyo, Nagoya, Kyoto, Osaka, Shimane Japan

Home    Japan Travel Guide     Tokyo Guide     Contact     Auction Service     Japan Shop

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Fishing in Tokyo

隅田川の釣り

I live alongside the Sumida River (Sumidagawa) in Tokyo. The banks of the river are paved, making for a broadwalk on either side. Pleasure boats dock on the Sumida ward side, and while not much happens on the Taito-ku side besides walking, jogging, loafing, and fishing.

Fishing on the Sumida River, Tokyo Sky Tree in background.
Fishing in the Sumida, Tokyo Sky Tree beyond
The fishing scene has been much busier than usual over the past couple of weeks, so my curiosity got the better of me and I asked one of the fishermen what was in season at the moment.

At that moment, he got a bite and, to answer my question, he hauled in a small, flapping silver fish about the size of your hand. If I'm not mistaken, he said it was a seibo - and just a small one, he assured me, but edible all the same.

Mid-December catch in the Sumida River, Tokyo.
Mid-December catch from the Sumida River, Tokyo
I took a snap of the just-landed fish, gaping in the brilliant winter sunshine and proceeded along to see how others further along were doing.

© JapanVisitor.com

Inside Track Japan For Kindle
Keywords
Japan
Tokyo
Sumida
river
fishing

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...