Seishuji Temple, in the Yaba-cho area of downtown Nagoya city, is located close to Wakamiya Hachiman Shrine.
Seishuji Temple was moved to its present location in 1610 from Kiyosu when Nagoya Castle was constructed. The temple was originally founded in the village of Koki in present-day Komaki in 1553. The temple was built by the local warlord Oda Nobunaga (1534-1582) to honor the spirit of Hirate Masahide (1492-1553), the one-time tutor of Nobunaga and his chief adviser, who committed suicide in protest at his master's eccentric behavior or possibly because of a falling out with Nobunaga.
The original temple buildings were destroyed in World War II and reconstructed in the 1950s. The temple is generally closed to visitors. Seishuji Temple is a short walk from Yaba-cho subway station on the Meijo Line of the Nagoya subway.
Tel: 052 241 6338
Like this blog? Sign up for the JapanVisitor newsletter
Books on Tokyo Japan