Japan Visitor: What's happening in Tokyo, Nagoya, Kyoto, Osaka, Shimane Japan

Home    Japan Travel Guide     Tokyo Guide     Contact     Auction Service     Japan Shop

Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Iidabashi Station on Tokyo Oedo Line

飯田橋 大江戸線

Iidabashi Station on Tokyo Oedo Line, Tokyo

I was on the Tokyo subway the other day purposely taking a different way home. On the way, I had to change from the Yurakucho line to the Oedo line at Iidabashi Station, which provides access to Tokyo's classy, picturesque and historical Kagurazaka district.

I don't think I had ever made this exact change before, because on going from the Yurakucho line station to the Oedo line station (all connected underground), I was struck by the futuristic architecture of the Oedo line Iidabashi station.

Iidabashi Station, Tokyo Oedo Line

An almost random web overhead of vivid green pipes grew ever denser the further down the stairs I went until I emerged on a station platform that is unique among Tokyo subway platforms in its cutting edge techy feel.

Iidabashi Station, Tokyo

Looking it up, I found that Iidabashi station on the Oedo line was designed by the Japanese architect Makoto Sei Watanabe (born 1952), who is renowned for his futuristic, tech-inspired designs.



© JapanVisitor.com

Like this Japan blog? Sign up for the JapanVisitor newsletter

Books on Tokyo Japan

No comments:

Post a Comment