The Meirinkan in central Hagi was established in 1718 in the grounds of Hagi Castle and was a major han (feudal domain) school, which trained many of the men who would become major players in the Meiji Restoration of 1868. Yoshida Shoin, Kido Takayoshi and Takasugi Shinsaku were all graduates of the school started by the daimyo (feudal lord) of Choshu, Mori Yoshimoto.
Adjacent to the main school buildings is the Yubi-kan - a martial arts hall used for kendo and spearmanship. It is believed Sakamoto Ryoma participated in the inter-domain games that were held here at the time.
The large wooden buildings are still in use today as part of Hagi City Meirin Elementary School. The school is directly opposite Hagi City Hall.
Hagi Video Guide
Yahoo Japan Auction Service
Book a Japanese Hotel with Bookings
Japan Job Search
Saturday, April 10, 2010