The Asian Art Museum in San Francisco will host a manga (Japanese comics), anime (animation), and pop culture extravaganza for aficionados and amateurs alike on July 7th. The exhibit/happening is called Blast Off, and its lineup features:
* Opening ceremony with Gen Taiko, whose drumming will hurl you into space for art and adventure
* Cosplay contest - dress up as your favorite manga, anime, or game character to win prizes
* Manga and anime panel discussions led by experts Frederik Schodt and Gilles Poitras
* Art activities and demonstrations by local artists, illustrators, and cartoonists
* Guided tours of the galleries and special exhibition Tezuka: The Marvel of Manga
* The Manga Lounge - hands-on library, wild anime, toy display...
* Ramen and Rice, the costumed duo that plays string renditions of anime and video game music
* Multimedia performance by Live Action Cartoonists, inspired by Tezuka Osamu's The Story of a Big Forest
Saturday, July 7, 11:00 am - 5:00 pm
FREE with museum admission // kids 12 and under always admitted free
Works by Tezuka Osamu: Buy on Amazon
USA UK Japan
Click here for Japan book Reviews.
Japan Tokyo Kyoto San Francisco Manga
Wednesday, July 04, 2007