Japan Visitor: What's happening in Tokyo, Nagoya, Kyoto, Osaka, Shimane Japan

Home    Japan Travel Guide     Tokyo Guide     Contact     Auction Service     Japan Shop

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Chindonya troupe Tokyo

チンドン屋

Chindonya troupe in Kabukicho, Shinjuku ward, Tokyo.I was cycling home from work in Yotsuya, passing through Shinjuku just near the west exit of Shinjuku station, when the distinctive wail, thump and bop of a chindonya troupe caught my ear.

I've only ever seen two or three other chindonya troupes in Tokyo, and the others I'd seen had been all-female. However, today's group was made up of two guys and a woman, all of them in their twenties - again, unlike the others I've seen which were made up of decidedly older performers.

This troupe was advertising a retro Japanese-style pub in Shinjuku's entertainment district of Kabukicho.

Listen to the chindonya troupe here.

Also, I had a brief chat and exchanged cards.

Check out another sound from JapanVisitor's podcast: an all-female chindonya group.

No comments:

Post a Comment