Japan Visitor: What's happening in Tokyo, Nagoya, Kyoto, Osaka, Shimane Japan

Home    Japan Travel Guide     Tokyo Guide     Contact     Auction Service     Japan Shop

Thursday, February 16, 2006

My new camera

カメラの買い替え

View of West Shinjuku from the Kanda River.I bought a new camera yesterday. There was nothing wrong with my old one mechanically, but on vacation in Europe with my friend last month I lusted after the pure natural colors his camera produced as opposed to the rather lurid, opaque ones of mine.

So, after a bit of humming and ha-ing, I went to the local Yodobashi Camera via the ATM, spoke to a half-knowledgable shop assistant and went for a Canon PowerShotS80: ugly as sin, but packed with dazzling functions and super specs - without breaking the bank.

There are so many options that it's taken me till this evening to pluck up the courage to point it at something and click, but - there - I did it: above, the view of West Shinjuku from my balcony - an overcast evening as you can see, and, below, the physics campus of Tokyo University out at Kashiwa where I teach every Thursday.

Tokyo University Physics Dept., Kashiwa City.The Tokyo University physics campus was designed by Tadao Ando, the famous Osaka-based architect. Apparently it used to be a Japanese air force base before WW2, became an American base after the war, before being turned into the physics research campus it now is.

Anyway, I'm going to keep myself busy for the next two weeks, poring over the camera manual and trying everything out, and most of all trying to remember what everything does. Stay tuned and expect some photographic masterpieces, er, very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment